This is the most delicious and child-friendly pesto pasta ever, rich with a creamy subtle taste of the herbs, garlic and cream – you will fall in love with this. If you love cream, pasta and pesto, then here is the perfect dish for you, and fast to make too. Feel free to add some chopped sundried tomatoes, or even black olives for a stunning looking result.
Ingredients – 2 to 3 people
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup raw almonds (with skins)
- 2 tsp golden flaxseeds
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Himalayan sea salt to taste
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast (available in the US from here)
- flat parsley leaves, chopped, for garnishing
Ingredients & Instructions for the Cream
- 1 cup raw whole cashews (pre-soak for a few hours – or rinse and use if you have a vitamix or equivalent high speed blender)
- 1 1/8th cups water
- Process these until they resemble fresh cream
Instructions for the Pesto Sauce
- Place the basil and garlic in a food processor, and process until well broken down. Then add the nuts, and process again until all is very small. Add the remaining ingredients and process until you are left with a thick paste.
- Next, cook your pasta. Whilst it’s cooking, heat up your pesto in a large saucepan, and slowly stir in your cream, keeping the heat low – mix all the time whilst you do this. You should be left with a semi-thick creamy sauce – taste it for salt, then if it’s too thick, add a tiny bit of water. Cover it, and turn off the heat.
- Once your pasta is cooked al dente, place it on top of your sauce, re-heat the lot, and serve hot garnished with the chopped parsley.
Recipe via © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010